Friday, February 11, 2011

[PART 5] The Next Gifting

So I asked John what his next plan was...would he plan anything? Well, he wanted to share some with his sister who he felt could use a card...and this is what happened:



"This is my sister, Gigi, getting her Whole Foods card.  Also, I gave her 100 for Brio to give to a girlfriend who has a husband and 2 kids who are in need.  They love Brio.  And Gigi promises to get a picture of them enjoying themselves there.  Finally, I gave her a 25 dollar panera card to give to a guy she's known for years , named Rico, and she will take his picture, too.
So.  A good start to Phase Two.
Don't worry, I'll buy myself some steaks with the family or do that McCormick and Schmick's thing.  My face will be up on the wall, too.
I already got you something.  Something not in the bag that you will like."
John, thank you though I am somewhat embarassed...being a giver myself it's odd to receive. I know you give from the heart and it is appreciated, your kindness...to myself and to so many others. Your friendship has been a HUGE gift to me, worth more than any other gift. I think it's a real neat thing you're doing. :)
Gigi...if you're reading this....please tell us how it made you feel....

Part 6 - Putting it to the Test

8 comments:

  1. I felt so humbled, reading what he said. Was this how he felt too? I've had a few heartwarming gifts in my life...and each are so very flooring. If I'm quiet, maybe he will focus on others, yet inwardly I'm moved and of course curious. I wanted to become part of this movement of giving and sharing of this story, but I did not expect to be a recipient of anything but the stories that make me smile. Thanks again John and thank you for making me part of this story too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I feel? Originally I thought John was showing me the bag of gift cards so that I could take as many as I wanted, but when he told me of his plan/idea, I thought it lovely. Painful, but lovely. (I would not be the Gigi John knows if not for my honesty.) In any case, I cannot wait to hit Whole Foods and pretend I am just another yuppie wife, shopping for my family (no one has to know that I live alone! Ha ha). John is a beautiful soul lately, and thought his spirituality/generosity thing can be somewhat annoying, deep down I have nothing but admiration and respect and love for the guy. He's a better person than most. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOL! Gigi you make me laugh with delight! You just don't have an edit button, do you? Anyway, thank you for the lovely words. Have a great tiem at Whole Foods, and I love you. One more thing. Pay it forward! Love, me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm quiet, maybe he will focus on others! Love that. Nice try, Sweet Dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi,

    John tasked you with gifting others now...do you think you will be able to relate when you hand those cards to someone else and see their faces or perhaps feel their delight too? I think it's awesome! I know it's difficult to understand the concept because honestly, isn't that how our society has become shaped?
    I particularly LOVE the image you painted, Gigi, of shopping there, pretending to be a yuppy shopper for an entire family. See...you've been given a day to act out a bit of a dream! And I bet you'll feel happy in those aisles. I hope you find something there to splurge on...and not feel guilty for spending. Sometimes, when I'm at the store, I splurge on a pricey bottle of wine, or some nice cheese to go with crackers and it's a nice feeling to treat ones self. I hope you really enjoy, Gigi. You will see soon, it is my hope...that the idea ceases to be painful when you see just how lovely it truly is.
    Thank you John, for giving Gigi a chance to be a yuppy wife today. Too awesome! :D

    Sweet Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...what is Gigi going to buy at Whole Foods???
    ...will her friends have an awesome night that ends in drawing them closer together?
    ...will Rico dine alone or ask a friend to join him?

    I can't wait to find out!

    It has me curious and I'm going to ponder it as I fall to sleep tonight. I also had a curious thought too.....what if...I gave gifts to...people who don't treat me nice? A few people came to mind. What would it do? How would I feel about it? Can I change my own hardened heart by being giving to people who aren't strangers and who aren't smiling or doing wonderful things? What is the requirement for kindness...? Hrm....deep thought huh guys and gals?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, sister. You are asking all the right questions. And I do so struggle with those same quandaries. We'll figure it out. First, make peace with ourselves. Then, the world.

    ReplyDelete