Thursday, February 24, 2011

[PART 18] Fun at Flanigans!

I'm in a good mood today, but this just really made me smile. Every time I do these posts I'm smiling because the idea just tickles me to my toes. I know....I think alot of people don't "get it"....but I do. I get it and I enjoy doing it. Anyway, on with the story which is really cool, and another one of John's gift givings!


"Had ANOTHER teary, pay-it-forward gifting at lunch!  awesome.  story and pics in MY grubby little hand/mind.  So... I went alone to one of my favorite lunch and watering holes today.  Flanigan's.  Good food, regular folks. Lots of working people (those are always the best places, anyway).  Sat at the bar and ordered a Flanigan's burger, veggies, and a chardonnay from Frankie, the bartender. The bar was packed, as was the rest of the place.  I had brought my mini-bag of gift cards and was thinking about how--or if --to use it on this occasion.  Frankie seemed like an extremely good bartender, and was really extra friendly, even though he didn't know me from Adam.  So I knew he'd be getting something today, at lunch's end. 
Just then. across the restaurant, I saw Shirley, someone I've known by face there for several years.  She's a special one.  Really an indispensable part of their wait staff, both in performance and in spirit.  My light bulb went on (duhhh!), and so since my burger wasn't there, I made a bee-line to her with my bag (concealed in a cheap plastic milk-carton kind of bag).  The place was hopping and I caught up with her at the kitchen door.   She was on the "line", scooping up plates of food for delivery to her tables when she saw me.  I gave her the finger, or perhaps "motioned to her" is a better phrase, and she came over.  I said, "Ok Shirley, Panera bread, Target, Starbuck's, Cheescake Factory, Chipotle?  Any of those do anything for you?"  She played along with my game, busy as she was.  "Cheesecake Factory", she said.  i reached into my bag then.  "Terrific, I'm taking part in a project and it's all about the acts of giving and receiving, and today, you get to be the receiver".  gave her the 5 ten dollar CF cards and her look went from quizzical to really, really touched and happily surprised in like three seconds.  She thanked me very much and we parted ways. 
 Back to the bar to wait for my burger.
2 Minutes later she was by my side, talking about paying it forward, and we were exchanging giving ideas rapid-fire. She TOTALLY connected to the idea of the gift, and related that she had received an unsolicited, lovely gift from a neighbor who was less fortunate than she--because Shirley had been helping the elderly neighbor with domestic chores, dishes, etc.  And this was but one story, but a perfect example of how kindness leads to kindness, and brings us all together.  It's infectious, and Shirley is as sick as they come that way! Bless you, Shirley.  You made my lunch.
But let us not forget our good man, Frankie!  Really good guy, remembered my name, couldn't have worked harder at that big, crowded bar.  I was worried that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do anything other than leave my money on the bar.  I did do that, and left him 40 on a 26 tab.  But I was able to get his attention for a sec. "Hey Frankie? Starbuck's, Chipotle, target, PF Chang's? Top of your head, which would you pick?"  He's not coming up with anything.  I furtively looked down into my bag and pulled out the Big Gun.  "Outback??"  He thought and said, " maybeTarget" Into his hand I placed a 50 target card and told him quickly about my project about the joy of giving and receiving.  He had certainly given a lot of himself to me.  Frankie allowed me to snap his picture with his card, and I was on my way out the door.


This is a really nice project, people.  I feel very good about it.  Talk to ya later.

Part 19 - Stephen is Right On Target

No comments:

Post a Comment