Wednesday, February 16, 2011

[PART 11] Giving Only to Give

I told John that not everyone is going to be in the "giving" mood...which drives home the point of giving without getting anything back but "the moment of giving" you did yourself. Read on to see what happened to John.

"Funny.  I go up to my local supermarket just now with my bag, and a camera.  I find two of my fave employees up there(they are all my faves up there, anyway) put my bag on the counter, and the store manager, Ritchie, barely looks up from the dinner he is  trying to eat while working says, “Returning?” and say, “no, giving.  Do you like Starbucks?”  He stops eating.  “Not really”, he says.  “How about Panera bread?” I ask.  Pause.  “Yeah, they got one of them up near me.  It’s good.”  So I give him a Panera card. I mean, it was already 5:30 and he was so relieved and touched that it was something for him and not something asked of him.  Then I gave one to the wonderful Katiuska who was there with Ritchie.  She was delighted, too.  Pic attached. So, nice little moment for the three of us.  Then, I go to checkout and I put my items on the belt at the register and ask the checkout girl, Kathy, if she likes Starbucks.  “Yes!” she says.  Out pops a Starbuck’s card for her.  She is happy and I am happy.  I take her picture holding here Starbuck’s card.  Then she gives me my total and I reach for my wallet.  The one that I had left at home in all of my gifting excitement.  I say,” oh man, I forgot my wallet”, and I look at her sort of pleadingly, hoping she’ll say, “don’t worry, just come back with the money”. Instead, she calls across the store, “Hey Ritchie, I’ve gotta void this order!”  At which point the line of tired, rush-hour shoppers behind me, holding their baskets, let out a large collective groan.  I left the store apologizing, red-faced, and empty-handed.  ANOTHER VICTORY FOR THE BIG GUY!!
Ironic, eh?"

Happiness From Kindness

2 comments:

  1. I had a failed gifting attempt. A coworker is sick and me, being an herbal remedy user (with great success) got the herbal stuff she'd need. Yet another individual who is not so nice to me. I was trying. I let her know that I had a solution for her at my desk. She didn't even acknowledge the kindness with a "no thanks". She didn't even reply to the email. But it is outside of myself, her choice. I have no control over it. I did right on my part. It was giving without a recipient. But it was still giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! You're in the game in a great way. Life is not a dress rehearsal.

    ReplyDelete