Wednesday, February 23, 2011

[PART 16] CONTINUED....Giving Is A Personal Choice

....so this young girl who had been neglected, abused and starved for years had just come to me and asked me for help...and for some....they'd say no. It's too complicated, too dramatic, too...involved. She was about to turn eighteen and thought she might have a place to go. Could I help her get away? Yes. Yes I could. I didn't have to think about it. It was the RIGHT thing to do. She was going to wait until her birthday in another eight days to leave. I was now scared for her, knowing the harrowing details that I did.

When I spoke with my mother about it, she hedged...thought it was the wrong thing to do, to get involved, and asked if the girl was being truthful? Well, I had no doubt...I didn't question it. And I won't!

Well...as things transpired, she secretly texted me that the people she'd planned to live with were having marital problems and could she stay with me for a while after I moved? Of course she can. And yes, it's giving and yes it's hard to open our home to a stranger.

Days passed by all too slow. On her eighteenth birthday, her caregivers...imprisoned her for five days. She was too afraid to leave, even with the police when I called them out there. I had to accelerate my move over safety reasons as the captors suspect I called the police on them and made some threatening comments.

But we've found a way to get her away without a confrontation. So I will have a new houseguest who will be given a chance at a decent life for the first time in eighteen years. I am giving her....the gift of freedom.

Part 17 - Waterside Serendipity

1 comment:

  1. I was talking to a friend when I was up at WalMart last night, who works where I used to, and I mentioned my new houseguest and my efforts to gather some clothing donations where I work now. She has no kids but she gave me a cash donation! I've put it into a gift card so that she can buy undergarments and essentials that she was neglected of at her old home. I was and still am deeply moved by this generousity. I've had so much support from people regarding this situation that I feel a great sense of warmth that people will pull together for giving her a new start!
    So, thank you Hollie for your gift!

    ReplyDelete